Anderson Woods


Anderson Woods

1778 – 1841

Religious Leader, Civic Leader

Anderson Woods was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, January 18, 1788.  Anderson Woods married Elizabeth Harris in Madison County, Kentucky in 1808.

Woods came to Boone County in 1816 and settled on Thrall’s Prairie.  He was a member of the Smithton Company. He conveyed the land which became the City of Columbia to the town’s Board of Trustees.  Woods also played a part in the formation of Boone County, and he served as a judge on the first Boone County Court.  

As a religious organizer, Anderson helped form and develop several churches in Boone County.  He participated in the development of the Bethel Baptist Church near Rocheport in 1817, was a charter member of the Bonne Femme Church in 1820 and was the first pastor of the Columbia Baptist Church after being ordained as a Baptist minister in August of 1823.

Woods died in Boone County on October 22, 1841.  His burial site and tombstone are in the Walnut Grove Cemetery in Paris, Missouri.  The grave is located in the William F. Buckner family plot. Mr. Buckner married Eliza Woods, a daughter of Anderson and Elizabeth Woods.