CATEGORIES

  • None

Places

An 1830s Columbia Tavern: Peter Wright, Proprietor

An 1830s Columbia Tavern: Peter Wright, Proprietor By David Sapp Columbia in 1830 had only 59 families and 453 total citizens—324 whites, 128 slaves, and one free black. But it seems there were three taverns. Captain Samuel Wall, Edward Camplin and Elisha McClelland all had taverns in Columbia about this time (Boone County Record Book Read More »

Second Missionary Baptist Church

By Dianna Borsi O’Brien Second Missionary Baptist Church at 407 E. Broadway dates back to 1894, but the congregation of the church dates back to 1866. In 1865, former slaves and free people of color who had been allowed to attend services at the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal churches in Columbia gathered to raise money Read More »

First Baptist Church

By Kenneth Hammann Broadway and Waugh Streets Columbia, Missouri, 65203 Founded: Saturday, November 22, 1823 (Original name Columbia Church) Founding members: William Jewell, George Jewell, Mary Jewell, Hannah Hardin (Jewell), Charles Hardin, Hutchins Barnett, William Ridgeway, Harriet Goodloe, Abraham Foley, Henry Cave, Hiram Phillips On Saturday, November 22, 1823, Dr. William Jewell and ten others Read More »

Firestone-Baars Chapel

By Greg Olson Firestone-Baars Chapel had its genesis in 1939, when Stephens College began planning for an interfaith chapel for its Columbia, Missouri campus. After years of fundraising, the college commissioned Finish-American architect Eliel Saarinen (1873-1950) to design the new building. Saarinen was well known for his award-winning modernist churches in Columbus, Indiana and Minneapolis, Read More »